In the last month there seems to have been quite a few bewildered females “out there,” walking around in a 9 month state of
conception confusion. It appears some women are under the impression they have a stomach virus, when in fact, they are really about to give birth. Just like this link will explain . . . Woman’s Tummy Ache is Really a Nine lb. Baby Boy! (And wouldn’t that be a nifty commercial slogan for Tums or Alka-Seltzer??!)
But conversely, (though admittedly a tad less common) there are many gals who fancy the notion they are carrying up to Four Babies, when in actuality they are simply wearing a pair of ill-fitting Spanx. (Woman tricks boyfriend and entire town into believing she is having Quadruplets!) And no, this was not Alan Funt’s grandson from Candid Camera who was “tricked.”
But never fear – – Little Miss Menopause (who has six children and can empathize with how subtly mysterious the last few days leading up to Labor and Delivery can be) has decided to come to the rescue of these poor baffled Mothers-To-Be and Mothers-NOT-To-Be (as the case may be!) with a handy, clever checklist that will help them tell the difference between just a simple “Jelly Belly” and a “Baby Belly.” It’s tricky, but she thinks she can lend a helping hand.
She also recommends this same list to give some clarity to all the male companions of these mixed-up women so they can avoid things like having to sheepishly return a truckload of diapers and infant clothing, (donated on Facebook by well-meaning community members) or being interviewed on the 11:00 evening news and saying things like, “It was the darndest thing – – first I assembled four cribs from Ikea while swearing like a sailor, then we thought up four different first and middle name combinations that went perfectly with our last name “Goofenblogger,” and then I rushed into the hospital room in time to see the doctor yank our four cute little floral chintz living-room throw pillows out from underneath her blouse.
So Without Further Ado, Little Miss Menopause Presents . . .
How To Definitively Decipher If You’re Really “With Child.”
1. If you still think about sex, you are most definitely, absolutely, completely NOT pregnant. Period!! (or even if you stop your period!)
2. If a well-meaning male co-worker remarks they thought all “Ladies-in-Waiting” were supposed to have a healthy glow or look radiantly happy,” and the police haven’t referred to you as “a Person of Interest” in their murder case, then there’s no baby.
3. If you can still find a basket of saltine crackers in a restaurant even remotely appealing, you’re not Prego.
4. If you don’t mutter things like, “Breasts just slightly more sensitive than usual, my ass!” aloud to the author of the “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” book, you are simply not Expecting.
5. If you prepare older Siblings-To-Be by saying things like, “Do you know what mommy has in her tummy?” and they instantly respond with, “yes, the cushion that matches our dining room drapes,” you’re a Big, Fat Faker.
6. If a girlfriend asks you to go shoe shopping and you don’t immediately think it’s “Naturalizers or Nothing,” then you’re experiencing a Phantom Pregnancy.
7. When your husband asks you what the baby’s kicking feels like, and you don’t have a sudden, increased desire to demonstrate by kicking HIM in the beer-gut the very next time he’s happily snoring away . . . don’t even bother signing up for diaper delivery service.
8. If you haven’t changed the title of Beyonce’s song, from “All the Single Ladies!” to “All the Double Ladies!” and chanted the chorus as, “If you liked that last piece of cake, then you shoulda put a (napkin) ring on it!” rest assured that you don’t have a bun in the oven.
9. If it’s one day after your official due date, and you don’t answer your incessantly ringing telephone by growling, “Yes, I AM still here. Go get a life!” then you are so NOT Knocked-Up.
10. If you still think it’s worth it to be pregnant because you get to pull your car into all the good parking spots at the mall – – plus you’re entitled to gobble two boxes of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies without feeling guilty because you’re “eating for two” now – – someone (like me!) needs to tell you that pregnant women actually only need an extra 200-400 extra calories a day. There!! We’ll see if you don’t come to your senses this very minute and go ride all the forbidden rollercoasters at Disneyland , followed by drinking two glasses of wine.
11. If you are shopping for a bathing suit to impress your new guy because you just lost 12 pounds, and the salesgirl asks you when your baby is due? You have my permission to give her a dirty look and inform her that you are definitely not pregnant. But why doesn’t she try having four C-sections in 7 years?!?
12. HOWEVER – – if you’ve lasted 38 weeks in a condition that would rival a beached whale, keep dreaming you’re giving birth to a dancing red-haired Hamster – – you hate everyone, everything, everywhere, every sound they make, every touch they take, every smell they bake, every minute you’re awake, every body part will ache, every emotion you fake — and if someone says, “You think you’re tired now? Just wait till the baby comes!” one more time, you’ll slap them quicker than you can say “Give me my Epidural, NOW!” then you need to start your deep-breathing technique, pack your bags and head to the nearest hospital – – because you’re definitely going to be a mother. And life as you know it will never be the same again.