How do we keep track of good ideas for blogs? Surely I cannot be the only one who just pulled an old bank deposit slip out of her wallet today and read my own hastily scrawled message, “Teller/Yeller Funny/Money – – First Mustache Encounter!”
Is that supposed to mean something to me?!?
Maybe that was a creative “Hold-Up” note?? So I remember now that the bank employee talked quite loudly, which could account for the first part of that chicken scratch. Or did I intend to write a blog analyzing what it would “Tell” about your personality if you cried at end of the “Old Yeller” movie?? The middle part I’m seriously clueless – – because nothing about finances is humorous to me. But that last part? Let’s see…. Well, I was either planning to do a blog about my first kiss or a confessional post that I need to start shaving. Help!
It happens all the time. I’m somewhere buying groceries or in a movie theater and the stuff that makes blogging golden pops into my head. And I know. I just KNOW that if I don’t capture the immediate thought (in writing!) within 60 seconds, it’s all Gone. With the Wind. A movie I’ve also disturbed people in while asking to borrow a pen.
Many a film buff has said to me, “You’re supposed to watch the screen – – NOT take dictation from it!” as I furiously type into my cell phone “notepad” something that was just triggered during “Gravity” when Sandra Bullock hallucinates that George Clooney is still alive, but then she weightlessly floats in space. I got from that . . .
“Write a blog where you imagine you’ve lost so much weight, George Jetson offers you root beer floats in space!”
Uh, yeah. There’s just no accounting for the jump an “original thinker” can make with an idea, is there? Keeping that in mind, here are some scraps and scribbles I have recently come across. I thought maybe you could help me figure some of them out?
Stephanie’s Scraps & Scribbles
1. A receipt from the Outback Steakhouse says, “Bkd Pot loaded w/ butt/SC/Chives” I’ve written, “Ruin healthy things.” Where it says, “Tip:” I’ve added, “expects advice but receives lottery.” ANYBODY????
2. A note home from my child’s school says, “Dear Ms. Menopause – – E was very tired today and says she’s been staying up late to do homework because you’re so busy with your own writing and cannot help. Please help!” I’ve crossed out the second “help” and written “Yelp.” Then I’ve jotted down “Reviews on Defective Nasty Teachers.” Might be a good one!
3. The Water and Power bill is overdue and on the envelope I’ve printed rather neatly (for a change!) “Electric sparks, sex, Viagra, cheats Sparklett’s Man.” Huh. That coulda been a doozy.
4. While arguing with my ex-husband on my cell, I’ve unconsciously doodled on a recipe for an Omelette, “kill scrambled spouse, diced pepper spray, minced words smothered in Swiss bank account cheese, Lettuce wilt under cover(s) until steamy.”
5. On a friend’s 50th birthday party invitation I’ve made the zero in the number fifty into a target (for darts?) and scrawled three cryptic words, “Black Medium Ears.” Ooooh, if anyone can help me decipher that one, I think it could be the most intriguing post of all! Maybe an African American Psychic heard something?! Oh, nevermind. I just realized those are my hints on what kind of gift she might like. Favorite color is black, wears size medium and has pierced earrings, which Target has on sale now.
I would list a few more puzzles, but as of now, it’s perfectly clear that I’m either an innovative genius with inspirational prompts to write every day for the next year – – or I’m losing it big time and they’ll put me in The Home For Unsettled Bloggers Who Squint at Jibberish.
But I really shouldn’t worry about recovering my own blogging material. I have certain creative (FUNNY!) Followers who are starting to write to me regularly with their “prods, suggestions and requests.” Just the other day, WeaverGrace emailed me, pointing out that since I turned fifty, I will need a Colonoscopy – – and wouldn’t it be fun to write about that?? Dearest Grace – – It will be so much more fun to write about it than to HAVE it! So yes….look for that topic soon. And Thank you.
Come to think of it, notes for that Post could be a little frightening, so I better keep them off my son’s letter to the Tooth Fairy.
Well? How do YOU keep track of blogging material?? Leave me a comment!