Do you have an extra room in your home (maybe your child went off to college?) with nothing but a lonely comfortable bed for someone to sleep in, and a silly roomy dresser for someone to store their clothing in? Frivolous much?! Now you can transform that eyesore into something . . . ELSE!
First a list of special ideas this unused space can easily be converted to:
- A Sewing Room — (For all the times you can never find that tiny needle and spool of thread)
- A Gift-Wrapping Nook — (Your junk closet will thank you. It can go back to just storing junk) Now you can display rolls of paper, tissue, bags, bows, ribbon, scissors, tape, and last minute presents from the dollar store right on the walls. “Pegboard: It’s not just for garages anymore!”
- A Ping-Pong Table/Shuffleboard Room — (think of all the money you’ll save going on cruises.
- A library — So what if everyone’s books are now on a Kindle. That’s not the point. The point IS you get to have a cool ladder that slides along the walls. But you must call it a library because you can hardly call it, “Belle’s Favorite Room From That Beauty and the Beast Scene.”
- A mudroom! — Because you currently have a place to recreate fond childhood memories making mud-pies (with daisies on top) exactly where right now?? Trust me, you need this!
- Jewelry & Scarf Room — You fashionista, you!
- A Home Theatre — My personal choice (see below) because one day my book will be adapted into a script and after I win the Oscar for best original screenplay, I will need a private area to screen my movie for all my jealous friends, where I don’t get mobbed by paparazzi.
- A Parlor (Honestly never knew what this room was, but it sounds like you should serve ice-cream in it.)
- A Contemplation Room — Just give this idea some thought!
- A Morning Room — Each day at exactly 8 am, you’ll throw open the glamourous drapes, so the bright sun streams in everywhere and … I’m getting a headache.
- The Treat Room — Feeling a bit snacky? Here’s where you store all the Godiva chocolate and Nutella that nobody else is entitled to.
- Need I go on listing more room ideas?? Just take any passion/hobby you have and turn it into a dedicated room, okay? Sheesh!
9 Important Steps To Complete This Enormous Project:
- Have a garage sale and sell the comfortable bed and roomy dresser.
- What are you, a complete idiot? Announce to everyone that you’ll have the remodel completed by Thanksgiving so you have something to be grateful for. (Without a contrived deadline, this sucker ain’t never getting done!)
- If you’re putting in a home theatre (the only practical choice listed above, as far as I’m concerned) start stocking up on things for your cute little concession stand which is the only reason to put in a Media Room. Don’t forget to knock yourself out trying to find Flicks candy these days, because if you’re my age, it was synonymous with movie theatres!
- Have someone build a 2 ft. riser in the floor (again only necessary if you’re doing a home theatre, so people in the back row can see your concession stand.)
- Hang a white sheet on the wall for the fancy projection system to display the movies on. After spending all your money on other things in this room, you’ll need to save money by doing this. And what? Do you really think the screen is going to be the focal point in this room anyway??
- Hang framed movie posters and kitschy signs all over the walls, even though when you go out to the movies, you NEVER see any of this stuff inside an actual cinema.
- Make a long list of people you want to invite over to watch a special movie so they’ll feel guilty and reciprocate by having you back over their house for dinner. Do you think it’s easier to entertain folks with a gourmet meal or just starting a DVD with the flick of your wrist? Duh!
- Recycle those tacky purple drapes (see photo below) from your master bedroom straight into the new Home Theatre Room. Nobody thinks purple looks cheesy in a theater!
- Answer the phone and apologize to your children by saying, “Sorry kids, I didn’t think you were coming home this year for the holidays. You’ll have to get a hotel room for sleeping and storing your clothing in. But be sure and come over to watch Miracle on 34th Street on our professional equipment. Why yes, you DO have a practical mother, don’t you??”
What would you turn a spare room into? Here’s my DIY pics!
Pingback: Funky Facebook Friend Faye Fiercely Focused on Flaunting! | Once Upon Your Prime
I like the idea of the deadline, because you are so right – deadlines motivate effectively. and laughing at your humor – and the life size teens – bah!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Will you come to my house and make a home gym for me? And while you’re at it, will you work out for me too?
LikeLiked by 1 person
You have thought of every detail right down to the two girls eating popcorn. That was probalby a prop with ongoing expenses. Curious how many people have brought their home movies to YOUR home. Should be more popular as we get into the “winter” weeks. Yes, in Calif. we do not get months just a few weeks of winter.
Who needs a third bedroom when you can have a walk in closet, right? Or maybe a room where your family band (yes, everyone has one) can entertain friends with their brilliant new compositions?
By the way, I can take the word parlor to whole new meaning…ice cream? What about the gentleman guests?
Get that pop corn a poppin’! You pick the movie and I’ll be over in as many hours as it will take to drive down! 🙂